Thinking Classroom Foundation Director, Ms. Hawng Tsai (Ah Sai) has participated in the UN Transformative Education on 20-21 September 2022
TCF’s role during the education crisis in Myanmar
During the education crisis in Myanmar especially after the military coup in February 2021 and pandemic, TCF extends its network to provide education in emergency to the young people of Myanmar. The following organizations are TCF’s partners in education:
Working with these partner organizations, TCF’s members contribute their knowledge and experiences in three main educational areas:
Besides, TCF Chairperson Dr. Thein Lwin provides lectures (via Zoom) on education policy to the students (over 300) from three education universities and twenty-five education colleges as a volunteer. He usually provides suggestions to individual students, parents and teachers for their education related problems and future education path. He also participates in the media interviews.
Activity photos are not included for those persons who do not wish to show their participation in the activities because of their security concerns.
May 24th, 2022
12 Apr 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin joined Asia South Pacific Association for Basic and Adult Education (ASPBAE) Executive Council Meeting as an EC members.
12 Apr 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin provided a lecture on Federal Education at a teacher training jointly organized by Thinking Classroom Foundation and Virtual Federal University.
18 Apr 2022: Meeting with Kayan National Education Committee for its education policy.
21 Apr 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin and Ms. Hawng Tsai met with Dr. Chayan and Mr. Kyaw Kyaw of Chiang Mai University discussing about a bridging course for students from Myanmar.
24 Apr 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin attended the Anniversary of Free Online Educational Institution Myanmar.
29 Apr 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin met with Chiang Mai City Hall officer for the Foundation's works together with one of the TCF Directors Khun Bee Bee.
6 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin and Ms. Hawng Tsai attended the Teacher Education Network Meeting between Thinking Classroom Foundation, three Universities of Education and twenty-five Education Colleges.
6 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin provided a lecture on Federal Democracy Education Policy at the Education for Right Livelihood online training organized by Holistic Education Movement group.
7 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin participated in the Education Forum attended by students, teachers, parents, and Church-based education providers in Banmaw Diocese comprising 14 parishes in the areas of Banmaw, Mansi, Momauk and Shweku.
9 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin met with Kayan National Education Committee about community-based education including the curriculum development.
11 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin met with Karenni State Consultative Council members about education policy and implementation of education during the Country's crisis.
12 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin met with Wa Youth Organization (led by E Pleeth Aung) based in Northern Shan State, Myanmar discussing about community-based education and future of Wa young people.
14 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin met with University Governing Council of Spring Normal University (online university) discussing about B.Ed and Post-Graduate Diploma courses.
14 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin participated in the interview with Mizzima News about education.
15 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin participated in the interview with DVB TV News about education.
16 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin met with a Chin Education Group (led by Peter Suante) based in the areas of Titain and Tunzan discussing about curriculum for their community schools.
16 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin attended the Anniversary of Taninthari Basic Education Teacher Unions.
17-22 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin and Ms. Hawng Tsai organized RWCT Workshop (for 6-days) with 41 senior teachers who will teach at the community-based schools in the Kayan Region.
23 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin met with Chin National Consultative Council's Education Committee members from nine township in Chin State about curriculum for their community schools.
26 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin will meet Basic Education Teacher Unions members from all over the country to discuss about community-based and online teaching and learning.
28 May 2022: Dr. Thein Lwin will organize the Teacher Education Network meeting between the Thinking Classroom Foundation, Ethnic-based Education Groups, Church-based Education Groups, three Universities of Education and twenty-five Education Colleges to discuss about providing teacher education for community-based and Church-based schools.
Note: Ms. Hawng Tsai will include what she has done for Foundation during Apr-May 2022.
Updated on: 24 May 2022
Promoting Peace through Education
Thinking Classroom Foundation has jointly organized a workshop on “Promoting peace through education in conflict-affected regions” together with RCSD of Chiang Mai University, Faculty of Education and Society of University College London on 19-20 March 2022.
12-01-2022 Virtual Meeting with Mr. Wayne Jones of Youth Hope Foundation
14-01-2022 Virtual Meeting with 40 migrant school teachers in Mae Sot about education in emergency
16-01-2022 Virtual Seminar on Federal Education Policy with Shan educators presented by Dr.TL
26-01-2022 Virtual Discussion on Higher Education with Educators from Kachin State
27-01-2022 Virtual Meeting with Head of Mon National Education Committee
04-02-2022 Virtual Meeting on Establishing a Federal University with TCF's partner organizations
11-02-2022 Virtual Lecture on Federal Education with teachers from Mandalay Division by Dr.TL
26-02-2022 Second Virtual Lecture on Federal Education with teachers from Mandalay Division by Dr.TL
27&28-02-2022 Face to Face Seminar on Federal Education with Karenni Educators in Chiang Mai
03-03-2022 to 14-03-2022 Consultation meetings on higher education with students and teachers
17-03-2022 Virtual Meeting on community-based education with Kayan teachers
19-03-2022 Virtual Lecture on Minority Rights in Federal Education by Dr. Thein Lwin (6 to 8 PM)
19&20-03-2022 Face to Face Workshop on Promoting Peace through Education in Conflict-Affected Regions of Thailand and Myanmar at the Chiang Mai University. It was jointly organized by Thinking Classroom Foundation, Faculty of Education and Society University College London and RCSD Chiang Mai University. TCF's parter organizations (Kachin, Karen, Karenni, Mon and Shan education departments) joined the workshop.
22-03-2022 Face to Face Meeting with five students who are studying in the areas of education at the Assumption University Bangkok. Dr. Thein Lwin provides suggestions for their research and dissertations.
24-03-2022 VOA interview with Dr. Thein Lwin about Minority Issues in Education
28-03-2022 Meeting with Ms. Hannah Marcazzo, Executive Director of Prospect Burma at the Thinking Classroom Foundation Office in Chiang Mai
29-03-2022 Virtual Meeting with Ms. Catherine Daly, Director of Myanmar Education Consortium (MEC) and Save the Children.
Note: Ms Hawng Tsai will include what she has done for the Foundation during Jan-Mar 2022.
Consultation Meetings for Education Policy
From 30 July 2021 to 3 September 2021, TCF has participated and led the discussion on education policy.
30 July 2021 - Meeting with ethnic education providers
6 August 2021 - Meeting with faith-based and migrant education groups
13 August 2021 - Meeting with civil society education groups
14 August 2021 - Meeting with student unions and teacher unions
20 August 2021 - Meeting with civil society political activists
27 August 2021 - Meeting with political parties and elected MPs
3 September 2021 - Meeting with education experts from US, UK and Australia
Based on the suggestions from these consultation meetings and previous education policy recommendations made by Ethnic Nationalities Affairs Center (ENAC) and National Network for Education Reform (NNER), a draft of Federal Democratic Education Policy has been written.
An initiative to establish a federal university
TCF has been initiating together with university teacher unions, ethnic-based education groups (Karen, Karenni, Kachin, Mon and Shan), faith-based education groups (Chin and Kachin) and migrant education groups to setup a university in Mon State. The university intends to provide Social Sciences courses in October 2022. Students from ethnic-based schools, faith-based schools, migrant schools as well as from inside Myanmar will be recruited.
A university establishing committee has been formed and TCF is part of the committee. The committee has been held meetings almost ever Thursdays since April 2021. We are currently preparing syllabus for the social sciences courses. It is a non-profit university. The professors and lecturers from the University Teacher Associations will teach at the university as volunteers. The Mon National Education Committee provided a land for the university. The organizations who initiated for this university will contribute for the student costs. A financial team of the committee has been formed and doing on fund raising for the teaching and learning materials and university running costs.
Teacher Education Workshops and Trainings
18 August 2021 - Online workshop on assessment with teachers of community-based and home-based education (20 participants)
3 September 2021 - Online discussion with community-based teachers (20 participants)
26-30 September 2021 - Online School Policy workshop with Headteachers and Township education officers of Mon Education Committee (33 participants)
27 Sep - 1 October 2021 - Online Critical Thinking workshop for youth jointly organized with Colors Rainbow (35 participants)
19 October 2021 - Online Workshop on homeschooling and home-based education with teachers and parents at Waingmaw Baptist Church, Kachin Stare (35 participants in the hall and over 1000 viewed the LIVE Show)
Conference, Seminar and Public Lecturer
6 August 2021 - Ms. Hawng Tsai presented about Education of Kachin IDPs at the Social Sciences Students' Seminar, Chiang Mai University. It was joined by 24 students and their professor.
21 August 2021 - Ms. Hawng Tsai provided an online public lecture about the Well-being of Adolescent and Youth during pandemic and political crisis organized by Kachin World Congress (35 participants). It was viewed by 2200 on Facebook.
21 August 2021 - Dr. Thein Lwin provided a lecture online, "What should be the education policy in current situation and future Burma (30 participants)
11 September 2021 - Dr. Thein Lwin discussed with the members of Basic Education Teacher Unions on basic education policy (24 participants)
3 October 2021 - Dr. Thein Lwin participated in a panel discussion online to remark the World Teacher Day, October 2021 (It reached 168,000 views)
5 October 2021- Dr. Thein Lwin sent a video message to the World Teachers Day celebration in Mae Sot organized by Burmese Migrant Teachers' Association
During 16 July to 15 August 2021, TCF participated in education webinars and consultation meetings on education policies and implementations with TCF's parter organizations.
1. Dr. Thein Lwin provided a keynote presentation to empower teachers to provide education for all children in the difficult time of Myanmar under the Covid pandemic and military coup at the webinar, Education Everywhere organized by Teacher Focus on 6 August 2021.
2. Dr. Thein Lwin participated in the panel discussion on Guiding Education Reform in Myanmar: Policy and Philosophy organized by the Movement Institute on 9 August 2021.
3. Dr. Thein Lwin provided a public lecture, Review on Education in Myanmar and Future Prospects on 14 August 2021. The lecture was viewed by 24,700 persons within three days.
Consultation Meetings on Education Policy
The TCF personnels, Dr. Thein Lwin and Ms. Hawng Tsai participated in the consultation meetings on education policies and implementations and provide their advice with their knowledge and experiences.
1. Meetings on establishing a (physical) federal university every Thursday with ethnic-based education groups, faith-based education groups, community-based education groups and university teacher unions. It is aiming that the university will be opened in October 2022 to provide social science courses.
2. Consultation meetings on federal democracy education policy for future Burma with the groups of ethnic-based education, faith-based education, community-based education, student unions and teacher unions every Friday.
3. Meetings with two basic education student unions for their future education
4. Meeting with teachers from Kayan Region of Burma for their community-based education.
TCF has done the following activities during 16June-15July 2021
1. June 15, 2021 Online Discussion on curriculum and teaching with one of the community-based education groups led by Ms. Tin Tin Ma Htet
2. June 29, 2021 Online Meeting with the initiators of the Spring University Myanmar (SUM), an online university for collaboration in higher education (Ko Phyo Thura Htay and Ko David)
3. June 30, 2021 Online Meeting with US Institute of Peace (USIP) for collaboration in peace education in curriculum and teaching (Mr. Jason Tower, Ma Zarchi Oo, Ko Myo Hein, Mr. Sam Tawng, Billy Ford)
4. July 1, 2021 Online Lecturer on Federal Democracy Education with teachers and students from Tanintharyi Division (Tavoy, Myeik, Kawthaung)
5. July 3, 2021 Online Seminar on How to Create a Critical Thinking Classroom with teachers, students and parents from Magwe Division organized by Alternative Education Group, Magwe
6. July 5, 2021 Webinar on Community-based education with teachers and parents organized by Daw Thazin Min of Young to Youth, Youth to Truth
7. July 7, 2021 Online Interview with a PhD student, Ms. Lilly Kip Lee studying on Higher Education focusing on multi cultural education in higher education policy in Myanmar
8. July 8, 2021 Online Meeting on Establishing a Federal University in an ethnic region of Myanmar. It is a 4th meeting participating Thinking Classroom Foundation, University Teacher Unions, five EAO Education Departments (Kachin, Karen, Karenni, Mon, Shan), Faith-based Education and Migrant Education. The meetings have been organized every Thursday.
9. July 9, 2021 Online Meeting with Danish Institute for Parties and Democracy based in Yangon discussed that Dr. Thein Lwin provides lecture on Decentralized Education at the webinar (contact person: Sandi)
10. July 10, 2021 Online Discussion on Federal Democracy Education with Basic Education Student Unions from Tanintharyi, Yangon, Mandalay, Sagaing, Shan state, ...)
11. July 12, 2021 Interview with Federal FM Radio about Home-based Education
12. July 13, 2021 Meeting with B-Lone Education Team discussed on Video-based Education in Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps (Daw Aye Mya Mya, Ms. Shun, Ms. Lynn and Ko Peter)
13. July 15, 2021 Online Meeting on Establishing a Federal University (5th Meeting)
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thinking Classroom Foundation organized virtual discussion on community-based education with teachers and parents all over Myanmar on 7 and 10 June 2021.
7 June 2021 - Sub-topics: Idea behind community-based education; management; curriculum
10 June 2021 - Sub-topics: Teaching strategies; assessment; school transfer system
TCF used Zoom Application for the discussion and it can take only 100 people. The discussion were posted LIVE on the Thinking Classroom Foundation Facebook. There are over ten thousands views on it. These can still be viewed on TCF Facebook.